Iunik Propolis Vitamin Synergy Serum Review
Iunik is an upstart Korean skincare brand whose focus is on “minimalistic skincare” by including natural and effective ingredients. They sent me their propolis vitamin serum to try. This serum claims to brighten, revitalize, and soothe skin.
What’s in this serum?
Propolis Extract, Hippophae Rhamnoides Fruit Extract, Water, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Methylpropanediol, Niacinamide, Dipropylene Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Rosa Damascena Flower Water, Sodium Hyaluronate, Betaine, Glycosyl Trehalose, Honey Extract, Beta-Glucan, Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysate, Allantoin, Carbomer, Arginine, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Adenosine, Dipotassium, Glycyrrhizate, Pentylene Glycol, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Centella Asiatica Extract, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Punica Granatium Fruit Extract, Ficus Carica (Fig) Fruit Extract, Morus Alba Fruit Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Nut Extract, Caprylyl Glycol
How do the ingredients contribute to the brightening/soothing claims?
- Propolis extract is the brown, resinous substance that bees collect from tree buds to seal up their honeycombs. It makes up about 70% of this serum and is topically used in skincare to soothe skin. It is also an antibacterial, which makes it useful in fighting acne.
- Hippohae Rhamnoides Fruit Extract, or sea buckthorn, makes up about 12% of the serum. This has been studied as a wound-healing accelerant, as the fatty acids found here are also present in our skin barrier.
- Niacinamide is one of the best ingredients for evening and brightening skin, which is why it is widely used in treating post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH).
- Sodium hyaluronate is a hydrator.
- Honey extract is a soothing ingredient packed with peptides and amino acids. It also has an antibacterial quality that helps fight acne.
- Beta-glucan is derived from yeast and is used to soothe sensitive skin.
- Centella asiatica is an herb that is rich in amino acids and used to soothe sensitive skin.
What skin type is this for?
People with dry to combination skin who have acne or are recovering from acne marks.
Who should avoid this?
This does contain a few sensitizers such as the essential oil bergamot and an astringent witch hazel extract.
This serum is lighter than I expected, having the consistency of a thicker liquid. It is administered with a dropper, which keeps the rest of the bottle hygienic. The serum absorbs quickly into my face and plays well with the rest of my routine - there is no stickiness or residue at all. It has a very light, delightful scent that smells like the faintest bit of honey.
This serum is a joy to use. I have been using it as an extra hydration step in my routine before my moisturizer. While I have not had an active breakout in a few months, my boyfriend graciously voliunteered to have me test this serum on his active pimple. We noticed that the red, flaky skin around the pimple was soothed by next morning!
Because I have only used it for a few weeks, I have not noticed any significant difference in my PIH. So while I can’t conclude that it lives up to its claim to brighten, but I can happily recommend this serum for hydration and soothing.
This is available internationally on Iunik’s site for $20. In a 50 mL bottle, this comes down to $0.40/mL, or about $11/oz.
This is a wonderful product that I would repurchase and recommend. Please note that I received a few products from Iunik for consideration, but this one was my favorite of them all :)