Belif Aqua Bomb Sleeping Mask Review
While the Belif Aqua Bomb Moisturizer is often recommended as a holy grail on Reddit, I never understood the hype. I had tried a deluxe sample size of the stuff, and it did not leave an impression on me. So when Belif reached out to send their new sleeping mask from the line, I approached this review with neutral expectations.
When I opened the box, I was first and foremost struck by this product’s beauty. It’s not often that I get hypnotized by a skincare product, but everything from the color of the jar to the texture of the gel was hypnotizing. And spoiler alert - I’m pleased to say that the mask works too!
What are the claims?
- Delivers “explosive hydration” (really embracing this bomb metaphor)
- Revives dull and dry skin
- Leaves skin smoother and more supple
What are the ingredients?
- Some cursory internet research suggests that Belif licensed something called “Napier’s Aqua Formula” from a Scottish herbalist. This formula contains a mix of herbs such as Lady’s Mantle, Feverfew, and Chickweed. The herbs are used for topical skincare due to their tannin content. Tannins assist in the creation of a protective protein layer on the skin (source).
- Hyaluronic acid acts like a humectant that draws moisture to the skin. Retaining moisture is essential to maintaining the skin’s elasticity and plumpness.
- Jojoba Oil is an emollient plant oil rich in fatty acids and used for restoring the skin’s suppleness (PubMed ID:24442052)
Bedtime with Belif
Belif sent over a silicone applicator to use, though I am not sure if this is also included in most purchases. The texture is like a viscous jelly pudding that slowly settles back into its original form. It was mesmerizing to dip my applicator into the jar and watch the gel return to its blemishless form.
After I was done just staring at the stuff, I put a dab on my cheeks and forehead. A little of this gel goes a really long way. It is very spreadable and sinks in fast. It dries down quickly, though it leaves a slightly tacky feeling; You can definitely tell you’re wearing a mask, though it is “pillow proof” and does not transfer. I use it as the last step of my nightly PM routine, layered over moisturizers, serums, and toners.
On especially hot days, I stick the jar in the fridge for a cool, refreshing mask. This makes for a great summertime treat.
There is a slight herbal fragrance, which smells identical to the rest of the Aqua Bomb line. I could do without this, but it’s not a dealbreaker.
When I wake up, I wash my face with water. I can tell the gel of the mask is also being washed away, and boy, and I impressed with my skin underneath! My skin feels plump, hydrated, and smooth. It feels exactly as if I had worn a sheet mask. My makeup application just sinks in.
This is available at Sephora for $34 USD. Given the size of the jar and the fact that you don’t have to use a lot of gel, I think that this is a fair price. If you also think of this mask as a replacement for one-time sheet masks, it becomes a worthwhile investment.
This is a great overnight mask that delivers on its claims for glowing, dewy skin. Whether it’s a hypnosis tool, overnight hydration mask, or summertime coolant, I’ve become a Belifer and am inducting this mask into my hall of holy grails!
I received this product free to test.